Celebrating 30 years of .ORG
Public Interest Registry, the not-for-profit operator of .ORG, .NGO and .ONG, recently celebrated the 30th anniversary of the first .ORG domain name registration - mitre.org by The MITRE Corporation - on July 10, 1985. In celebrating this anniversary the Registry created a website featuring many of the great organisations that use a .ORG their online home. Please check it out at http://happy30th.org and if your customers use .ORG as their main website, please have them submit their website.
Thirty Years of .ORG:
- Information is the largest demographic field of .ORGs – holding 19.2% of the share.
- In January 2003, the transition of .ORG from the previous operator to Public Interest Registry was the largest transfer in Internet history – more than 2.6 million domains were transferred in about a day.
- In 2009, .ORG became the first generic TLD to implement the Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC) as a means to address security vulnerability in the domain name system (DNS).
- On June 24, 2012, .ORG hit the 10 million mark with the registration of the domain name, http://jadforum.org.
- The shortest domain names (e.g. 1 and 2 digits) have only recently started being registered – for example, Y.ORG was registered by the YMCA.
The Dashboard - Domain Name Report:
Public Interest Registry's bi-annual domain name report, “The Dashboard,” details the worldwide growth of .ORG in 2014. The report reveals that the number of .ORG domain names registered in 2014 rose 1.3 percent, bringing the total domains under management (DUM) to more than 10,500,000 worldwide. Also featured in the report:
- Registrations in international markets continue to experience steady growth, including China with 2.9 percent, Spain with 1.6 percent and Japan with 2.9 percent of the total .org registrations worldwide
- For the first time since 2010, Netherlands revisited the top 10 list of .org registrations by country.
- In December 2014, 1.37 million .ORG, domain names were registered in Asia-Pacific, a 16 percent increase compared to December 2013.
- Registrants are renewing their .ORG registrations at a rate of 81.6 percent for two years or more.
.ORG Website Spotlight:
Be sure to check out GlobalCitizen.org, a digital platform where individuals can connect with information, organisations, events, and campaigns that are all geared towards the goal of ending extreme poverty by 2030. Since launching in August 2012, more than 400,000 global citizens have joined, taking more than 2.75 million actions as well as contributing to more than 35 campaign victories and announcements.
.ORG in Multiple Languages and Additions:
Public Interest Registry recently expanded its portfolio of extensions to also include .NGO |.ONG and in particular .सगं ठन,.机构, & .орг. These new extensions translate into “organisation,” “org” and “structured organisation” for their respective languages. Hindi, Chinese (simplified) and Russian Cyrillic-speaking markets can now establish deeper connections and increased awareness through the use of native scripts. HEXONET offers registration services for all of these TLDs and also offers backorder services for the .ORG TLD.