Domain Name Industry Brief - May 2011
VeriSign, the global registry operator for .com, .net and other extensions, has released its latest Domain Name Industry Brief. In this brief, VeriSign reviews the state of the domain industry using statistical and analytical methods. As always, HEXONET looks forward to this report since it is packed with interesting data, insights, key performance metrics, and growth opportunities. Below are some of the key highlights.
1) 4.5 million domain names were added to the Internet in the first three months of 2011, representing a 2.2 percent increase over the fourth quarter of 2010. There is now a base of more than 209.8 million domain registrations across all Top-Level Domains (TLDs).
2) The base of country-code Top-Level Domains is now 81.7 millions domains
3) The largest TLDs in terms of base size are .com, .de (Germany), .net, .uk, .org, .info, .nl, eu, .cn and .ru (Russian Federation).
4) Among the 20 largest ccTLDs, the Netherlands, Brazil, Italy, Australia, France, the United States and Canada each exceeded 4 percent quarter over quarter growth.
4) The .com/.net renewal rate for the first quarter of 2011 was 73.8 percent.