How To Market Your Commerce Shop In The Digital World
We are currently in the e-commerce generation. As more and more huge brands like Sears, Toys R Us, JCPenney and Kmart are closing their doors, studies are popping up revealing continuously low performance in malls (thanks Millennials). Companies and marketers alike have to challenge their approach to commerce, and how they sell to the Millennial and Gen Z population.
Brands should show creativity and ingenuity to stand out in the busy commerce world, especially when competing with huge brands promoting their products through highly publicized influencers and celebrities. When a small brand can't compete with the Apple's and Microsoft's of the world in terms of budget, other avenues must be explored.
Pop-up shops, showrooms and e-commerce stores have proven to be the new normal. With the constantly growing cost of real-estate (especially in our Vancouver office's neighbourhood), more brands are finding unique approaches to bypass the huge costs of the typical brick-and-mortar stores.
Never has marketing and branding been as important as it is in this online world. To promote their brand, event, or shop, companies are taking unique approaches to ensure they make an impression. Read our top tips for marketing your commerce business in the digital world:
- Consider a new gTLD (generic top level domain): let your customers know your brand's specialty at a glance, by choosing a domain that describes what you do. For commerce stores, whether e-commerce, or websites promoting a pop-up sop or showroom, choose .SHOP for a unique domain that will stand out in the sea of websites. Easy to remember, and it makes a powerful marketing tool.
- Social media marketing: Instagram's "shop now" feature is the best way to ensure your followers are able to purchase at the click of a button. Make it easy to buy and display your offerings in a creative and eye-catching way. Tip: use .SHOP in your Instagram handle, and carry your website from the URL to your social media channels. (Check out this great example, @helloellie.shop, a store that makes tiny clothes for tiny people). This ensures your customers are immersed in the same branding everywhere they look, increasing the chances you will be remembered when they are ready to buy.
- Newsletters: e-mail marketing can be easily forgotten when running a business, however, it can be one of the most effective ways to keep your brand top of mind. Share as often as once a week, or as little as once a month, and include new items, deals and promos, thought leadership pieces, influencer interviews, reviews, aspirational blog posts, and other pieces you know your audience would benefit from. And if you don't know, as your customers what type of information would be of interest and meaningful to them.
- Affiliate marketing: micro-influencers can provide great benefits for companies of all sizes. Micro-influencers often have a more focused follower-base, that can lead to more clicks and purchases on your website and usually come at a much more affordable rate than a celebrity status influencer. Connect with a few you feel cover your target market, and provide them with affiliate links to use on their websites and social media channels. You may also want to connect with like-minded brands, marketers or the media.
- Pay-per click advertising: this may be a good option for smaller brands that don't have the funds to purchase TV or radio ads, but still want to find a way to play with the big dogs. Once set up correctly, it can provide a huge return on investment and ensure you get noticed.
- Public relations: many start-ups have a great "coming to be" story. Think back to your unique journey and use it as a pitch for publications, the media and local bloggers. Another approach is to pitch why your product is different, how it stands out, what problem it solves, why you want to solve it, and why others should care. Connecting with the local media is a great way to get your brand noticed by a large group of consumers.
Idea, check. Marketing plan, check. Let's get you started! Connect with us, and learn how to set up your very own .SHOP domain to start promoting your commerce store now!