Differences Between Old Internal DNS And New Basic DNS
With the new DNS launch, HEXONET will continue to offer free DNS service under a new product called Basic DNS, available to all customers. What are the differences between the new Basic DNS and the old Internal DNS (available prior to the new DNS service changes)?
New Basic DNS is identical to old Internal DNS, except for handling of external domain names
Similar to old Internal DNS, Basic DNS allows you to create zones and records at no cost (FREE) for domain names that are registered with HEXONET. Both are functionally the same. However, domain names that are registered outside of HEXONET (external domain names) are handled differently.
DNS for external domain names
Old Internal DNS zones (zones that were created before October 15, 2018) still have the same support, pricing and billing for external domain names as it did before. The following applies:
- HEXONET will continue to bill monthly for external DNS zones, which is the same as before, until October 15, 2019.
- Upgrading old Internal DNS zones to Premium DNS is required before October 15, 2019 to continue using HEXONET's DNS with external domain names.
- After October 15, 2019, old Internal DNS zones that are used with an external domain name will be permanently deleted.
Since Basic DNS does not support external domain names, you must purchase an upgrade to Premium DNS for old Internal DNS zones or purchase a new Premium DNS plan for any external domain names.
What happens to my old Internal DNS zones?
Old Internal DNS zones, that are now called Legacy DNS zones, will continue to operate unaffected and unchanged under the old Internal DNS system until October 15, 2019.
- You can view all your Legacy DNS zones under DNS Service > Legacy DNS Zones in the Control Panel. Note, this page will be removed once we stop supporting Legacy DNS zones on October 15, 2019.
- You can continue to edit, configure, and delete Legacy DNS zones as you did before until October 15, 2019.
- You can no longer create new DNS zones with the old Internal DNS system.
- If you are using a Legacy DNS zone with a domain name registered with HEXONET, it will be automatically migrated to Basic DNS on October 15, 2019.
- If you are using a Legacy DNS zone with an external domain name, the Legacy DNS zone will be permanently deleted and the monthly billing will stop on October 15, 2019.
Can I switch my old Internal DNS zones to Basic DNS or Premium DNS?
Currently, it is not possible to switch an old Internal DNS zone to the new Basic DNS. HEXONET will automatically migrate all Legacy DNS zones to Basic DNS on October 15, 2019 at no additional cost.
You can upgrade old Internal DNS zones to paid Premium DNS before October 15, 2019. All your DNS records will be copied over to the new Premium DNS zone and your old internal DNS zone will be permanently deleted. If old Internal DNS zones were used with an external domain name, your monthly billing for external DNS zone will stop at this point.
You can read more about HEXONET's Premium DNS zone here.