A Simple Guide To SSL Certificates - Where To Start
So, you've selected your domain name, and you've (finally) launched that much awaited website. Congratulations! Now, you need to consider your website security. You know what it means, and you know that it's an important aspect of a trustworthy website. In fact, it's the one tidbit of information you look for when visiting other sites. But, you wonder, isn't security just for those big-brand names? We know it may seem confusing, convoluted and time consuming, but it doesn't have to be.
Let's run through the process of securing an HTTPS domain and help you find the right SSL certificate for your business needs.
What Is An SSL Certificate?
An SSL Certificate makes your website more secure. It encrypts the data on your site making it safer for your visitors to share personal information, such as passwords, banking information and credit card details. Once you have set up the certificate, your website will be represented with an "HTTPS" rather than an "HTTP" domain, showing your visitors that you value their online safety and security. Not only does an SSL certificate make you more trustworthy in the eyes of your customers, it also flags you as a trusted brand for Google, benefiting your SEO and helping you achieve that ranking you've been working so hard to achieve. Depending on your business, there are different security levels and SSL certificate types. Let's break it down and help you find the SSL that best fits your needs.
Types Of SSL Certificates
Domain Validated (DV) certificate: Bloggers, listen up, this ones for you! The DV certificate provides the lowest level of security but works great for websites that don't store, or ask for, a lot of personal information. If your site is read-only or offers a simple comments section, this information is for you! A DV certificate checks your website against domain registration, offering your visitors the opportunity to ensure that you are the true owner of your domain. With an easy set-up, you can get the DV certificate purchased and installed within 15 minutes. A little effort for a lot of piece of mind to you and your visitors.
Organizational Validated (OV) certificate: Great for small businesses, including non-profits and educational sites. This certificate provides a higher level of security and is used for websites where personal information is exchanged. The OV certificate is considered a trusted certificate, and is authenticated by customer service agents against business registry databases. It takes a little bit more time to install, as documents may be exchanged and contact may need to be made with the site owner to ensure authenticity of the business, but we ensure you, it's worth the effort.
Extended Validation (EV) certificate: The certificate of choice for large organizations, banking institutions, commerce sites, and websites that need extra security and protection. This certificate will add a padlock icon, and a green bar, to your browser, showing your visitors that they are on a secure and protected website. The vetting process for an EV certificate is the most strict and makes it extremely difficult to impersonate an EV enabled site. Show your customers that you value their security and protect their personal information with an EV certificate.
Wildcard certificate: Who doesn't love simplicity? The Wildcard certificate saves you money and time if you have multiple sub-domains for your business. It allows you to secure your domain, and unlimited sub-domains, on a single certificate. For example, a Wildcard certificate can secure the following domains in one step: yourdomain.com; blog.yourdomain.com; events.yourdomain.com; and login.yourdomain.com.
Subject Alternative Name (SAN) certificate: Are you intrigued by the Wildcard certificate but thinking how you can protect multiple domains, instead of just sub-domains? We've got you covered! The SAN certificate does just that. You specify which additional domains you want to be protected by a single SSL certificate. A SAN certificate saves you time and money in the same way a Wildcard certificate does. Simple, easy, and effective.
Reasons To Purchase An SSL Certificate For Your Website
- Security: We often talk about security but this point is so important, we want to make sure you don't miss it. An SSL certificate not only helps you secure and encrypt your customers data, it also proves to your customers that you care about their online protection and that you have taken steps to ensure they are safe while browsing your website. This helps you stand out from the crowd, especially if your competition hasn't yet taken this security step, and adds an extra layer of trust between you and your customers.
- SEO benefits: We've touched on this point briefly but to elaborate, an SSL certificate helps you gain trust from Google. Following all other SEO best practices, including site optimization, new quality content, and market research, an SSL certificate will help boost your ranking, and ensures that your SEO efforts are being rewarded.
- Increased conversions: There are multiple studies that point to a boost in conversions when a website adds an SSL certificate. Customers claim that they feel better about providing their credit card information, and other personal information, when they see that HTTPS, padlock and green bar. Think about how you would feel providing your personal information to a website that hasn't been validated and checked for safety.
- Google requirements: If all of these reasons haven't prompted you, Google is implementing new requirements to encourage website owners to implement SSL certificates to their websites. As of July 1, 2018, any website being viewed on the Chrome browser that does not have an SSL certificate attached to it will receive a pop up claiming that it is not a secure site upon visitation. Google has also implemented an SSL requirement for the new .APP domain, where an SSL certificate must be used in conjunction with the .APP domain for the website to properly function. These requirements are just the tip of the iceberg in Google's "HTTPS-everywhere" initiative. Don't get caught being unsecure and behind the times.
Why Purchase You SSL Certificates From HEXONET
- Wide selection: At HEXONET, we offer a wide selection of SSL certificates for all your needs. From basic to advanced, we thoroughly researched and worked hard to offer you the SSL certificates that will work best for your brand or business. We offer SSL certificates from all the major SSL providers in the market, including GeoTrust, Comodo, Symantec, Thawte, and Trustware, so you can feel confident buying genuine and trusted SSL certificates.
- Pricing: We offer competitive pricing to ensure that you are able to get the security you need. We routinely scan our prices and those on the market, to ensure we bring you the best value possible.
- Customer service: The HEXONET team (or HEXOnerds as we like to refer to ourselves) are trained and ready to help answer any questions you may have regarding SSL certificates, including which is the best for your brand and how to purchase and install the certificates.
Visit your website for a breakdown of all of the SSL certificates we offer, and for more information. Connect with us with any questions you may have and let's work together toward creating a safe web space for everyone!