Verisign Releases Latest Domain Name Industry Brief
HEXONET would like to highlight key information in this brief:
- The fourth quarter of 2011 closed with more than 225 million domain name registrations across all TLDs (Top-Level Domains).
- Registrations grew by more than 10% compared to the fourth quarter of 2010.
- The base of ccTLDs (country-code Top-Level Domains) now stands at 90.6 million domains, an 13.2% increase, year over year of the base.
- There are more than 250 ccTLD extensions globally, with the top 10 ccTLDs comprising 60% of all registrations.
- Among the 20 largest ccTLDs, Poland, Sweden, Tokelau and the Russian Federation each exceeded 4 percent quarter over quarter growth.
- The report also discusses the threat of domain name hijacking and the importance of researching the security of one's own registrar - HEXONET offers a number of valuable tools that can help registrants mitigate the risk of hijacking. These include a free 'registrar lock' that prevents a domain from being transferred under any condition, as well as, pay for services like WHOISTrustee Services (identity protection) and Domain Alert (domain change notifications). Please contact your account manager for further details.
The brief coincides with HEXONET's own internal metrics on ccTLD growth. ccTLDs are growing in popularity like never before, so now is the time to add a wide selection of ccTLDs if you don't already offer them.